top of page

 All Saints' Church, Braishfield

All Saints' Church, Braishfield is part of the United Benefice of Braishfield, which includes St. John's, Farley Chamberlayne, St.Mary's, Michelmersh, St. Andrew's, Timsbury and All Saints', Awbridge.  The five parishes work together and share the same Rector and Associate Priest.   Our congregation is drawn from the village and local area.  We have varied styles of worship to suit all who come to visit. 


We encourage all who would like to, to take part in preparing for and enabling worship by being welcomers, reading from the Bible and leading prayers of intercession. We use Anglican Hymns Old and New in our worship, and we have a church choir. We have a committed team of volunteers who look after the church grounds, arrange flowers and clean and maintain buildings.   


We are mission focused and work closely with the wider village community. We encourage all to feel free to use the benches in our church yard and appreciate the peace and history of this corner of the village


From time to time we provide social occasions which all can enjoy.   Attached to the church is the wonderful local resource of the Church Room, which is used regularly by church and village groups.   You will be warmly welcomed at any of our services or events. 

 Church Wardens

Mr. Andrew Brooks

Miss Sarah Boothman

All Saints Braishfield.jpg
Regular Services



Regular Services

1st Sunday of the Month: Family Service. 9.30am followed by Coffee.

2nd Sunday of the Month: Morning Prayer. 9.30am

3rd Sunday of the Month: EveningPrayer. 6.00pm

4th Sunday of the Month: Holy Communion. 9.30am

5th Sunday of the Month: United Benefice Communion. 10am

Check Diary for Benefice Church Hosting this Service.

Church Room

 Church Room

The Church Room has been completely renovated.  It was officially re-opened by the Bishop of Winchester on All Saints Day 2009 and is maintained to a high standard.


Many different church events and activities take place in the Church Room, including coffee and refreshments after some services.  Café Church is held occasionally with breakfast served alongside a short act of worship.   The Village Voices, for those who enjoy singing, meets on the fourth Monday of each month at 2.00pm in the afternoon. The Dementia Sing Along meets on the 3rd Monday of each month (except July and August) at 2.30pm to 4.00pm


A range of local groups use the hall for Art Classes, Pilates, Children's Karate, Ukulele, Flower Club and other activities.  It is also a perfect setting for family celebrations.   


For further details about hiring the hall and making a booking see  


Church in the Community

All Saint’s Braishfield in the community.

We are lucky to have the support of many committed volunteers, who help out in maintaining the church. This includes the mowing team, cutting and strimming the churchyard on a regular basis; the Flower ladies, providing fresh arrangements each Sunday and for special occasions such as Easter, Harvest and Christmas; and a team of cleaners who weekly make sure all areas of the inside of the church are polished and clean.  The church is open daily from 10.00am to 4.00pm for anyone to come in and have some time of quiet. 


In addition to a service each Sunday, we have  Village Voices, a singing group, starts at 2.00pm on the fourth Monday of the month, all welcome.  A regular prayer group meets on a Wednesday evening, and another at various times during the year at homes in the village. See diary for more information.


We work closely with the Village School. They have their Harvest, Christmas and Easter services in the church, and a group of church members contribute to Collective Worship from time to time using  “Open the Book”.    There is also an after school club,  “Sparks”, where children enjoy time together exploring bible stories in an active way.  Messy Church is held in the Church Room on the last Friday of school holidays for families, and all ages take part together in various activities before sharing in worship and a meal.


The Social Contact Group is run by a team of volunteers who provide transport and make arrangements.   A variety of outings and social gatherings take place through the year, enabling members to enjoy each others company.  This friendly group is open to all.


The Choir meets to practice on a Friday evening in the church at 7.00pm.  They sing regularly at Sunday Services, leading the worship and often singing an anthem. You would be very welcome to join them, please contact benefice office for further information.


We have joint services with the United Reformed Church in the village, for the World Day of Prayer on the first Friday in March, Christian Aid Sunday in May and Remembrance Sunday in November.


The Church was designed by William Butterfield who was a prolific architect.  Amongst his designs are several London Churches, Keeble College Oxford and Melbourne Cathedral, Australia.  He also designed the original building at Winchester Hospital and the church at Pitt.  One feature of his style is his use of patterned brickwork, most noticeable on the exterior of the east and west walls.


The church was built by a local builder Mr. John Petty of Wellow, consecrated in March 1855.  In 1899 a second hand organ was installed.  In 1902 the original bell turret was replaced with a larger one, featuring a clock, to mark the coronation of Edward Vll.  1909 central heating replaced the single large black stove at the west end.  In 1909 John Travis, his son and grandson, local carpenters and joiners covered the ceiling with match boarding.

In 1945 the roof was stripped and re-tiled.  1946 electric light installed. 1948 all windows (except East Window) renewed as the lead had perished.  In 1955 the present organ was dedicated on All Saints Day.  1968 current lighting pendants installed.  1988 new chancel and sanctuary lighting scheme and re-wiring.  2006 the roof was re-tiled.  2007 re-ordering of west end including raising the level of the floor, a new level entrance door (dedicated in memory of Samuel Boothman Rector 1946-1981) and removal of some pews.  The font was given an oak surround with uplighters and the church re-carpeted.  Cupboards and bookshelves were built using the pew timber by a member of the congregation, Dr.Peter Quarendon; he also moved the vestry screen in front of the organ and re-built it so enlarging the vestry.  He equipped the vestry with built in storage cupboard.  2014 a projection screen was installed on the south chancel wall. 

Background History

All Saints Braishfield background history

Inside the Church

Mural on East wall (1) A gift from Mr. Joseph Pepper of Jermyn’s House in 1909: originally this extended into the chancel with the Ten Commandments on the north side and the Lord’s Prayer and Apostles’ Creed on the south side.

Cross and Candlesticks (2) the gift of Mr. Griffiths of Woolley Green in 1905 while Mr. Porter was Vicar but not used until the time of his successor in 1917.  Mr. Griffiths was the lesson-reader.

Prayer Desk (3)  Given in 2006 in memory of his parents and grandparents by Mr. Malcolm Fiddes, one time choir member and churchwarden.

Communion Rail Kneelers (4) Embroidered from the 1970’s by Mr. Tom Lalonde, a Romsey GP who lived in Braishfield.  They record the names of past incumbents of the church.

Processional Cross (5) donated by his parents in memory of the organist, Ronnie Paskins, who died in 1924 aged 20.

Organ (6) Installed into this church in 1955, the organ came from Witham Priory, Somerset.  Originally built by Mr. Bryant of Frome and rebuilt in 1936 by Percy Daniels of Taunton, it was last refurbished in 1955 in memory of Mr. Bill Parsons, churchwarden for many years.

Heating Pipes (7) These are the original pipes installed in May 1909, donated by Mr. Joseph Pepper who was churchwarden at the time and had been an iron master in Leeds.  The inside work cost £72.18s and the ‘heating chamber’ [Boiler House] £16.12s.  It was converted from coke to oil in 1961.  The family grave is to the east of the church porch.

North Aisle (see wall plaque) An addition to the original design, given by Revd. James Davies in memory of his wife, Caroline, who died in 1853.  James Davies also donated the land on which the church is built. It was left to him by his wife’s father, William Jennings, in 1853.

 Font (8)  Part of Butterfield’s original design, it incorporates the trademark trefoil pattern - seen also in the windows.

East Window (9) A memorial to the Revd. James Davies: ‘chief promotor of this church and parsonage,’ who died in 1873.  The panelling below, which came from Romsey Abbey around 1909, covers original Butterfield tiling.

Credence Table (10)‘In Memory of my husband Williiam Thomas Parsons who died of wounds received in action in Carnoy France. July 23rd 1916’  William, a Gunner, was aged 21 when he died.

Litany Desk (11) Given in memory of Private Charles Abraham by his parents and wife.  He was killed in action at Bapaume, France, on 25th March 1918.  He was a former choirboy.

Choir Stalls Pulpit (12,13) The pulpit, priest’s desk and choir stalls are made of oak.  They were a gift of Mrs. Dodgson of Braishfield House in 1909, in memory of her husband Charkles, at an estimated cost of £71.  According to Mrs. Suckling’s “Bygone Hampshire” ‘Mrs Dodgson skilfully executed most of the carving with her own hands.’

Lecturn. (14) Given in memory of Revd. John Durrant, Vicar 1861-1899, by the parishoners.

Pews (15) by Mr. Wheeler of Romsey.  Until 1917 the pews on the south side were ‘rented’ and the brass ‘forms’ held the name cards.  The full pew for 4 persons was £1, or 5s (25p) for each person if shared.

Bell Tower, Bells and Clock. The three bells were presented by Miss Davies (daughter of Revd. James Davies) when the church was built.  The new turret (1902) and clock were a gift from Mrs. Dodgson – the clock cost £60.  Orginally wound weekly by hand (having climbed the steep ladder to the belfry) and electric mechanism was given by Mr. and Mrs. T.I. Robinson of Braishfield Manor in the 1970’s. Dr. Albert Snow of Megana Way bequeathed money for the clock’s maintenance. (see plaque)   He also funded the timing mechanism for the clock.  Even puts it fowards and back with the time change.

The banners  There is a set which covers the church’s year: they remind us of the themes of each season. They were made by parishioners.

This information is taken from a leaflet, which has been produced by Wendy Quarendon and Sarah Boothman.

Esater Flowers.jpg
Inside the Church
DSC03638 copy.jpg
DSC03641. copy.jpg

All Saints Church Braishfield Friends

Church Friends

If you would like to join the email group to keep up to date with current events at the church, please email

Fiona Fielder

Email Co-Ordinator for

All Saints Church Braishfield Friends

Church Photos

All Saints Church Photos.


 Harvest Festival Flowers Oct. 2020

 Church Porch decorated for Remembrance Sunday Nov. 2020

War Memorial decorated by Village School and Brownies


Welcome Service for Rev'd Tom Benson at St. Mary's,  Michelmersh.  July 2021

After Songs of Praise Service, meeting the village outside Church Rooms, Braishfield.  August 2021

Harvest Flowers.jpg

Harvest Flower Displays in the Church October 2021


Children's Christmas Tree Festival December 2021 including Rector Tom Benson's Little Donkey.


Queen's Platinum Jubilee Flower Display June 2022.

King's Coronation Service and Village Lunch May 2023

bottom of page